Cheap Nursing Informatics Essay.
Assessment 1 Instructions: Nursing Informatics in Health Care
Write a 4-5 page evidence-based proposal to support the need for a nurse informaticist in an organization who would focus on improving health care outcomes.
As you begin to prepare this assessment, you are encouraged to complete the Team Perspectives of the Nurse Informaticist activity. Completion of this will help you succeed with the assessment as you explore the nurse informaticist’s role from the different perspectives of the health care team. Completing activities is also a way to demonstrate engagement.
Nurses at the baccalaureate level in all practice areas are involved in nursing informatics through interaction with information management and patient care technologies. Nurses must not only demonstrate knowledge of and skills in health information and patient care technologies, but also how to use these tools at the bedside and organizational levels. Moreover, nurses need to recognize how information gathered from various health information sources can impact decision making at the national and state regulatory levels.Cheap Nursing Informatics Essay.
ORDER A PLAGIARISM-FREE PAPER HERE
Demonstration of Proficiency
By successfully completing this assessment, you will demonstrate your proficiency in the course competencies through the following assessment scoring guide criteria:
- Competency 1: Describe nurses’ and the interdisciplinary team’s role in informatics with a focus on electronic health information and patient care technology to support decision making.
- Define nursing informatics and the role of the nurse informaticist.
- Explain how the nurse collaborates with the interdisciplinary team, including technologists, to improve the quality of patient care.
- Justify the need for a nurse informaticist in a health care organization.
- Competency 2: Implement evidence-based strategies to effectively manage protected health information.
- Explain evidence-based strategies that the nurse and interdisciplinary team can use to effectively manage patients’ protected health information (privacy, security, and confidentiality).
- Competency 5: Apply professional, scholarly communication to facilitate use of health information and patient care technologies.
- Follow APA style and formatting guidelines for citations and references.
- Create a clear, well-organized, and professional proposal that is generally free from errors in grammar, punctuation, and spelling.
For this assessment, assume you are a nurse attending a meeting of your state’s nurses’ association. A nurse informaticist conducted a presentation on her role and its impact on positive patient and organizational outcomes in her workplace. You realize that your organization is undergoing many technological changes. You believe this type of role could provide many benefits to your organization.Cheap Nursing Informatics Essay.
You decide to pursue proposing a nurse informaticist role in your organization. You speak to your chief nursing officer (CNO) and human resources (HR) manager. These individuals ask you to prepare a 4–5 page evidence-based proposal to support the new role. In this way, they can make an informed decision as to whether the addition of such a role could justify the return on investment (ROI). They need your proposal before an upcoming fiscal meeting.
To successfully prepare for this assessment, you will need to complete these preparatory activities:
- Review assessment resources and activities.
- Conduct independent research on the nursing knowledge and skills necessary to interact with health information and patient care technology.
- Focus your research on current resources available through peer-reviewed articles, professional websites, government websites, professional blogs, wiki pages, job boards, et cetera.
- Consult the BSN Program Library Research Guide for help in identifying scholarly and authoritative sources.
- Interview peers in your network who are considered information technology experts.
- Ask them about how information technology advances are impacting patient care at the bedside, at the organizational level, and beyond.
- Proposal Format
The Chief Nursing Officer (CNO) and Human Resources (HR) manager have asked you to include the following headings in your proposal and to be sure to address the bullets underneath each heading:
Nursing Informatics and the Nurse Informaticist
- What is nursing informatics?
- What is the role of the nurse informaticist?
- Nurse Informaticists and Other Health Care Organizations
- What is the experience of other health care organizations with nurse informaticists?
- How do these nurse informaticists interact with the rest of the nursing staff and the interdisciplinary team?
- Impact of Full Nurse Engagement in Health Care Technology
- How does fully engaging nurses in health care technology impact:
- Patient care?
- Protected health information (security, privacy, and confidentiality)?
- Costs and return on investment?
- Opportunities and Challenges
- What are the opportunities and challenges for nurses and the interdisciplinary team with the addition of a nurse informaticist role?
- How can the interdisciplinary team collaborate to improve quality care outcomes through technology?
- Summary of Recommendations
- What are 3–4 key takeaways from your proposal about the recommended nurse informaticist role that you want the CNO and the HR manager to remember?
- Additional Requirements
- Written communication: Ensure written communication is free of errors that detract from the overall message.
- Submission length: 4–5 double-spaced pages, in addition to a title page and references page.
- Font: Times New Roman, 12 point.
- Citations and References: Cite a minimum of 3 current scholarly and/or authoritative sources to support your ideas. In addition, cite a minimum of 1 current professional blog or website to support your central ideas. Current means no more than five years old.
- APA formatting: Be sure to follow APA formatting and style guidelines for citations and references. For an APA refresher, consult the APA Style and Format page on Campus.
- Portfolio Prompt: Save your presentation to your ePortfolio. Submissions to the ePortfolio will be part of your final capstone course.
- SCORING GUIDE
Use the scoring guide to understand how your assessment will be evaluated.
- Informatics is changing the face of healthcare. As technology advances, healthcare organizations and providers are able to collect, analyze and leverage data more effectively, influencing the way care is delivered, resources are managed and teams operate each day. You would be hard-pressed to find an aspect of medicine that has yet to be touched by the mass collection and analysis of data that has been ushered in by the Information Age.Cheap Nursing Informatics Essay.
One specific area that health informatics is having a significant impact on is the practice of nursing. Though the mission of nursing remains unchanged, the daily work of these professionals is being strongly influenced by informatics, with particular attention to the accuracy and communication of patient data and care.
Health informatics in nursing
The nursing profession is rapidly changing to keep up with advancements and new challenges in the healthcare field. As direct caregivers, nurses are in the front lines of patient care and consequently often feel the impact of changes in best practices more immediately than other healthcare professionals.Cheap Nursing Informatics Essay.
Spyros Kitsiou, Assistant Professor of Biomedical and Health Information Sciences at the University of Illinois at Chicago, reported that there are three specific challenges that healthcare is currently facing: the aging population, the incidence and prevalence of chronic diseases – such as cardiovascular disease, diabetes and pulmonary disease – and the shortage of doctors and nurses. Though these problems are diverse, there is a solution that addresses all three: data.
“A lot of these challenges can be supported by the avocation of information and communication technologies, particularly as hospitals are becoming more and more interested in reducing their costs and shifting care from hospital care to home care,” Spyros said. “Information and communication technologies, mobile health devices, wearable technologies are all becoming very, very important for supporting remote patient monitoring and home care.”
In nursing, as with healthcare in general, informatics is being used to address the challenges of the day, significantly impacting the way nurses function in patient care.Cheap Nursing Informatics Essay.
One of the primary ways that informatics has changed nursing practice is through documentation. Gone are the days of paper charts that had to be meticulously updated with handwritten notes. Today, nurses are more likely to input notes into electronic health records and other systems that keep a patient’s medical history up-to-date and easily accessible.Cheap Nursing Informatics Essay.
The Healthcare Information and Management Systems Society reported that as the result of electronic charting, nurses are able to obtain information quickly and efficiently, using the information to improve the daily workflow. Storing the information electronically is more easily available to all members of the care team, including the physician and other care providers, as well as staff teams at other healthcare organizations that the patient may visit. As the U.S. population becomes more mobile, it is increasingly important that their personal medical records can travel with them to any office or medical organization they may visit during their lifetime.Cheap Nursing Informatics Essay.
Health informatics is also an important part of care coordination in nursing. The ability to track staffing, workflow and communication can help nurses to identify areas where current processes can be improved. This can also help ensure that staffing levels remain adequate, which is critical for providing patients with the best possible care. If the nurse-to-patient ratio drops too low, patients are more likely to suffer adverse results. Maintaining adequate levels helps nurses provide the best possible care each day without burning out.
Evidence-based practices have long been an essential part of nursing. Today, determining those best practices involves the use of health informatics. Analyzing the mass quantities of data collected regarding patient care and outcomes helps to determine how best to treat these conditions and situations in the future. The more data that is collected and analyzed, the more accurate the resulting conclusions tend to be, providing the best possible information for determining how best to care for patients in the future.Cheap Nursing Informatics Essay.
The growing role of informatics in nursing has also created a number of new job titles for those with clinical experience and an interest in working with data.
A nursing career in informatics
Nurses at every level now work with informatics through patient records and other technology. However, some nurses choose to specifically focus their career on the intersection of informatics and clinical practice. There are a number of career options available in this lane, including the following:Cheap Nursing Informatics Essay.
- Clinical informatics specialist
- Nursing informatics specialist
- Clinical analyst
- Clinical informatics manager
- Clinical informatics coordinator
- Nursing informatics analyst
These roles can be found at every level and facet of healthcare organizations, including leadership and management, advocacy, risk analysis, compliance, consultation, research, evaluation and education. As informatics becomes a more prominent component of the nursing field, job opportunities will likely continue to develop.
While health informatics roles are open to professionals from a variety of backgrounds, nurses are particularly well-suited for these roles due to their knowledge of clinical workflow, previous healthcare education and experience with healthcare technology and information systems.
If you already have a clinical background in nursing, your next step en route to one of these jobs is to pursue training specifically in health informatics. Though there are several ways to do this, one option is to earn a Master of Science in Health Informatics degree. In a master’s program, you will take courses on important topics such as healthcare information systems, healthcare IT vendor management, health information systems analysis and design and organizational issues in health informatics to prepare for a career in health informatics.Cheap Nursing Informatics Essay.
To complete your higher degree while continuing to work in the field, consider enrolling in UIC’s online Master of Science in Health Informatics degree program. The convenient online format makes it easier than ever for you to balance your academic pursuits with existing professional and personal responsibilities. And UIC’s program is a great fit for nurses and others who wish to enter the informatics field from a clinical background.
“People who are interested in integrating their clinical knowledge with the application of information technology or vice versa, would be very much interested in our program,” Kitsiou said. “And people who would like to even transition, make a career change and transition to healthcare would definitely be interested as long as they have a basic understanding of the healthcare system and also the application of IT.”
With the right informatics training combined with your clinical background and existing medical knowledge, you could make a difference in patient care in a healthcare organization through a career in health informatics.
Introduction Nursing Informatics is a union of nursing, technology, and data assimilation. Nursing Informatics deals with using technologies to organizing and delivering healthcare in the most efficient and safest manner. Nursing Informatics consist of countless tools ranging from simple computers to the complex electronic medical records systems (EMR), diligently designed to organize and deliver information. Nursing informatics silently streamlined into the management and delivery of healthcare; you have probable used nursing informatics without even knowing it. Advantages and Disadvantages “One of the strongest and most far-reaching current trends in health care is the application of evidence – based practice through the development…show more content…
The primary principle is to detect high cholesterol early in this population of patients. Early proper treatment could result in, evading the large expense of a massive MI. Health and Safety Electronic medical records had a great impact in the ushering in of the age of Nursing Informatics. (Himss, 2010)EMRS present healthcare professionals with the ability to retrieve and organize data in a quick and efficient approach. With information so readily available, patient safety increases and we know that patient cost goes down. This happens because patient medications, allergies, history, demographic, and treatment information is more collectively available. As technology has and continues to advance so will the expansion of nursing informatics. Data from (19th annual 2008 himss leadership survey, 2008) hold this statement true showing a steady increase in the implementation of technologies. As computers became smaller, it became easier and efficient for hospitals and physicians office to implement their use. (sutton, 2007)The first computers were large, expensive, and inefficient.Cheap Nursing Informatics Essay.
The post Cheap Nursing Informatics Essay. appeared first on Online Nursing Essay.
Would you like to make your academic life easier? We offers you a perfect chance to buy essays online and let our writers take care of your academic achievements! Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked for originality using advanced plagiarism-detection software.In this case, there is no room where plagiarism could squeeze in.